Wednesday 8 September 2010

Humour from the Times letter pages

Sir, I am not alone among British Catholics in viewing the impending visit of Pope Benedict XVI with mounting disquiet.... In much of what has been said and done this papacy does not represent the Church of which I have been a member all my life. I do not accept the Pope's authority to redefine my Church beyond recognition and relevance.
Thus writes, in part, a correspondent in the letters page of the Times newspaper today. Not surprising that, if you do not accept the Pope's authority and you do believe in the existence of "my Church" (sounds rather like those pastors of a strongly evangelical leaning who establish their own community churches and do not have any real source of authority beyond their own natural abilities), the Pope's forthcoming visit does not enthral you.

But the humour comes in the headline above this letter, a humour which might be lost on the correspondent himself. That headline reads: Pope not Catholic?

No comments: