Tuesday 19 May 2009

At what point ....

A re-arranging of the furniture in the sanctuary ....Specially made vestments ....Admission by ticket only .....Seating arrangements for 18 Canons, 60 Bishops, 27 Monsignori, 9 Provincials, 3 Deans, and more ....Specially commissioned music for choir, organ, brass and timpani (by a darling of the tradosphere, no less) ...Specially composed fanfares (Colin Mawby) ....Palestrina's Mass Tu es Petrus ....Eight part Venetian motet at the offertory ....The rite adapted from a 15th century rite .... BBC television providing live broadcast ....

Now, some of these things are quite understandable, and practical; and, though readers may not all gain that impression from my posting, I am not un-inclined to splendid liturgy (though I do usually baulk at lace from ankles to armpits!). Sadly, though, I am finding it difficult to feel the identity I would like to feel with the arrangements that are being made for Archbishop Nichols installation at Westminster Cathedral.

Don't get me wrong - I wish Archbishop Nichols all good, and look forward to his time as Archbishop of Westminster. But at what point does it stop being liturgy and start becoming a show?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

zero says
I,by accident saw some of the proceedings at lunch time and it was very impressive. I sang the Credo with them! I think George Carey was singing it too!
The BBC seemed to have done a good job. As i then drove back to work, Premier christian radio were reporting and explaining what was happening and they also did an impressive commentary.
I bet you ALMOST wish you had a telly!