Sunday 5 October 2008

Blogging was interrupted because ...

..I was in Leeds on Friday and Saturday, taking part in a conference of my trade unions Branch Secretaries. The union organises three of these across the academic year, to keep us up to date on things. The October one is a two day residential, which gives more opportunity for "networking" - or, in plain terms, finding out what is really going on behind the scenes. I missed last years October meeting - preferring instead to stick with Eucharistic Adoration in the parish.

On the second day I was told the story of the group of "first attenders", the new branch secretaries starting in the role this year, who were being wound up to believe that the youngest of them would have to do a speech to the conference at the end of the Saturday proceedings. Apparently they pointed out that there was someone younger than themselves who should really be asked to do it .... identifying that person as me.

I think I'll go to this conference again ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

zero says
Did you managed to keep it buttoned or did you have to propose something?

Joe said...

Of course I did .... apart from asking Christine Gilbert, who heads up OFSTED a question, and trying to stir up some support for "awkward squad" conference motions (sorry, the correct word for that is "networking").