Saturday 2 August 2008

Extra/ordinary Form - or how much lace is necessary for a valid Mass?

Recent coverage of matters Liturgical elsewhere in the blogosphere has finally prompted me to give in and comment on something I had decided I was never going to refer to on this blog!

One of the difficulties I have with the response from a certain direction to Summorum Pontificum can be expressed as follows: what I feel I am seeing is a programme to deliberately promote t
he Extraordinary Form, and I do not think this was in any way the intention of Summorum Pontificum and Pope Benedict XVI's accompanying letter. A key indicator for me in this connection is the continued reference to the "Traditional Latin Mass", and what seems to me a clear and persistent unwillingness to adopt the language of "Ordinary Form" and "Extraordinary Form" that appears in Summorum Pontificum. This language seemed to me to be a very eloquent expression of the unity of the Roman Rite, with two forms, and called for a move away from the hermeneutic of discontinuity between what was previously perhaps known as the "novus ordo" and, as such, was seen as over and against the "Tridentine Mass". The whole point to this language of Ordinary Form/Extraordinary Form seems to me to be to do away with this kind of opposition within the lived experience of the Church. It seems to me that the promoters of the Extraordinary Form are taking the part of Summorum Pontificum that they like - the encouragement of a more generous provision - but disregarding the part that they are not so happy with - namely, the assimilation of the two forms to one another.

Another key aspect of Summorum Pontificum and the Pope's letter that is being left on one side in my view is that of the mutual enrichment of the two forms of the Rite. What I feel I am detecting are pre-emptive strikes in defence of those aspects of the Extraordinary Form that are open to adaptation in the light of the Ordinary Form (and, most obviously to me, and, in my view, containing no theological content but just a responsiveness to the change in people's styles of participation, that means the "said quietly" Eucharistic Prayer). The adoption o
f a common calendar - I could not cope without St Teresa Benedicta of the Cross, for example - and the inclusion of the new prefaces in the celebration of the Extraordinary Form are "no brainers" to me, but no-one seems to be moving forward on these.

In this light, I found interesting the following snippet from Fr Stephen Langridge at the Southwark Vocations blog, reporting on a meeting for priests in Spain just before World Youth Day:

Another interesting piece of news was about a get-together between priests and seminarians and Mgr Marini, the Papal MC. Answering questions the monsignor said a number of things of note. Among them that the Holy Father isn't planning to impose anything. For Papal Masses the MCs have been given a free hand to draw upon the Church's rich inheritance of treasures in order to counteract the widespread impression that things of liturgical merit or worth have been abolished in the 'modern' liturgy. This is part of the Holy Father's concern to promote the 'hermeneutic of continuity': to show that there is no rupture between the pre-conciliar and post-conciliar Church. Another interesting comment was that in the 'medium term', although he may not live to see it, there will be a new missal for the one Roman Rite - drawing, one presumes, on the best of both current forms of the Rite.
The two observations here do put into a context the assertion of a Benedictine renewal programme for the Liturgy that we read about elsewhere - well, it does not appear as if it exists at all in what one might call a juridical form, though one could see it as a "trend". And I think the idea of a single, new Missal, which at minimum will bring together in one publication the provisions of the Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms but might well be an outcome of the mutual enriching of the two forms (still, I would expect, with two forms but both of them having grown from where they are now). The report from Spain, however, even seems to suggest that the two forms would be eventually united to one form, though I can't quite see that that will happen.

In any case, the exercise that is Summorum Pontificum is an exercise that faces two ways. It looks towards those who have gone into schism with the form of the celebration of the Liturgy as key factor in that move into schism, and hopes that the new provision with regard to the Extraordinary Form will help to overcome that schism. The concern for the unity of the Church that is expressed particularly, if I recall correctly, in Pope Benedict's accompanying letter shows this face of Summorum Pontificum. Summorum Pontificum also faces towards those who, though remaining in communion with the Church, have an affiliation to what we now term the Extraordinary Form. The interest in the mutual enrichment of the two forms contained in
Summorum Pontificum and the Pope's letter seems to show this second face of Summorum Pontificum.

During my time as a parish Master of Ceromonies, I used to have a phrase I used when something went wrong, particularly if it caused amusement, as these things are inclined to do, and resulted in an embarrassed altar server. I used to talk about "Liturgy with a human face". By this I meant that we did things reverently and with our best efforts to achieve technical correctness - but that we were relaxed (in the best sense) about things that might go wrong. It had a second aspect, too, in that it referred to a liturgy in which the ordinary parishioners were able to engage and, dare I say it, "participate". Believe you me, some of the Mums and Dads spotted everything that was going on in the Sanctuary, and only the then parish priest's dislike of radio microphones meant they missed his "asides" on the mishaps we occasionally had! I am not sure that the photographs of recent events communicate this to me about the celebrations of the Extraordinary Form. I suspect I would not have stayed if I had been present, not out of any question of principle, but because I would have lost interest (sorry, participation) quite quickly. And, yes, I do have the Liturgical formation to cope with it, before anyone suggests otherwise.

So, my punchlines:

Birettas really are old hat - I can hardly see them as being essential to the Extraordinary Form, and expect that it could be celebrated quite happily without them.

Frills and lace - the Liturgy is not tied to one particular artistic expression, not even the Extraordinary Form, so modern styles of vestments seem to me perfectly compatible with the Extraordinary Form, frills and lace not being necessary for its validity ... or have I missed something?

And it should be possible to look comfortable about what you are doing ... If I had been an MC there, I really would not have been able to resist whispering into Bishop McMahon's ear something like "Cheer up, only twenty pages to go..."




10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your post is very interesting - mainly because I'm learning to like the extraordinary form, but haven't caught myself enamoured with The Lace yet. I was starting to think there's something wrong with me!

My friends assure me this is because I am Dutch, and therefore a Calvinist no matter what religion I choose to belong to. So I thought for a moment that you might have gotten the same virus during your years spent in the Netherlands at such an impressionable age... but that was Limburg, which doesn't count. So maybe it's a physicists thing?

I, too, am hoping for a mutual enrichment. And I would love to see some more beautiful modern vestments for the EF (we have a couple of gorgeous chasubles at the Cathedral that would do wonderfully in a set).

(Oh, and I teach my altar boys two things: 1. visit the toilet before you put on your surplice, and 2. it doesn't matter what you do as long as you do it with dignity. The latter was wonderfully demonstrated by a six year old newbie who tripped on his robes and thus proceeded to present the lavabo set on his knees - the little old ladies loved it!)

Rita said...

Oooh no, I love "man lace", yards of it, I think it is very masculine and fitting for the priesthood, so not all physicists are anti-lace!

I did not react well to the comment on Fr Finnigan's blog that many of the priests present doubted (albeit jokingly) that the ordinary form had anything to offer the exraordinary form. The ordinary form to most people surely shows more visible humility, when done right. It is better suited for small Masses/house Masses and for those priests who are infirm.

"Rev Fr Showman", (as Cardinal Arinze called those priests that show off and put themselves at the centre of the liturgy rather than Christ), is better off facing ad orientem so he becomes less of a distraction and is forced to concentrate on the liturgy. I personally would like to see Ordinary Mass "facing east" more than I desire to see more Extraordinary masses taking place.

Joe said...

I wonder if it is solid state physicists who prefer the lace? Something to do with holes and band gaps?

I think the practice of celebrating the Ordinary Form "facing East" would be a good example of mutual enrichment.

Another thought since the original post. The development of the new, more directly faithful, translations of the English texts of the Ordinary Form should perhaps also be seen as part of the idea of mutual enrichment.

Anonymous said...

Last Sunday I went to my second TLM (sorry, force of habit - and that acronym has the useful property of being invariant in English and Dutch) ever and all the pennies dropped and I loved it. In fact I think I'm still recovering.

Responding to your post's main point (I think): it seems to be at the moto proprio was a noticeably-sized pebble that got chucked into the water and many people are a bit all over the place because of it. My TLM (sorry) experiences have thrown me off balance - ultimately for the better, I'm sure - but when I've just discovered a really thwacking dessert recipe for the first week or so afterwards that's all I ever talk about. It's like an infatuation, I suppose.

Mine isn't going to be the only immediate reaction out there: there are people who are attached to the TLM (sorry) and who have been for years before SP and have effectively had to live, dare I say it, a kind of tyrrany that was the Seeking Of An Indult.

So I think there are a few reasons why this mutual enriching might not happen as smoothly or 'flawlessly' as some might expect.

I suspect I would not have stayed if I had been present, not out of any question of principle, but because I would have lost interest (sorry, participation) quite quickly. And, yes, I do have the Liturgical formation to cope with it, before anyone suggests otherwise.

This bit jumped out at me. I have also had the necessary liturgical formation and catechesis (trained by the best and strictest MC ever - and became the second strictest ever when I was an MC ;) ), but none of that helped me at my first TLM (sorry), which was something of a disappointment. The understanding is necessary for many but something else has to be there too, to really get the "kick".

Punchlines: I think the first two are on a lower "rang" if you like. I think birettas are pretty cool, but often the lace is a bit ott. However (and I'm not sure I've got this right myself) big lace fans (e.g. Fr. Z.) make - and have - the point of these things being part of our Catholic identity. It might not be necessary for a "proper" Mass but it does at least, on the non-Sacramental level, clearly mark us, our liturgy and our Faith out as Catholic. That essential difference is of course already there - but it seems quite a logical step that that distinctiveness should branch out in physical and visible things.

Besides, over the years I've seen some chasubles which are just...ew. Lace or no lace, and I have a preference for the Gothic style rather than the fiddlebacks, but there are limits!

It's not necessary to look cheerful during the liturgy. In fact, I wonder whether it's necessary to look like anything (although obviously if you're doubled up in pain then MC-intervention is warranted ;)). But what's wrong with looking solemn? The liturgy is solemn, after all. Mass and Vespers is serious stuff!

This comment has been too long, I know. Sorry, sorry... :)

bernadette said...

great post !

Anonymous said...

In a lot of cases, I'm all for the "it's not necessary, but it's something that makes us Catholic"-argument, but with the lace...

...don't you suppose that a guy in a seventy year old dress muttering Latin in the Eastern direction isn't, like, Catholic enough? :)

I love the Gothic style, too. I saw this really gorgeous one between a lot of fiddlebacks in an Italian webshop, but I can't find it anymore!

(By the way, I think biophysicists would love the lace most. They're constantly growing weird patchy stuff and making knots in DNA...)

Rita said...

Nah, it's all those pretty diffraction patterns and 2D Fourier transforms in optical image processing that remind me of "man lace"!

Anonymous said...

The ordinary form to most people surely shows more visible humility, when done right. It is better suited for small Masses/house Masses and for those priests who are infirm.

With all due respect Rita, I would like to see an example of such an assertion. The most common and familiar way of celebrating the ordinary form (facing the people), smacks of anything but humility. It becomes a "performing act" devoid of any contemplation of what is mystically happening. The priest performs and all the attention is focused on him. Also, the rubrics of the extraordinary form, do really bring out the unworthiness of the priest: the index finger and thumb closed together after touching the sacred species, the meticulous ablutions, numerous genuflections, etc - all abolished for no theological reason in the ordinary form. Look at the "Prayers of the foot of the altar" for example and I defy you not to find any notion of humility there.

As regards to priests who are infirm and celebrate private masses, the ordinary form does not really sit well with this either. This is because of the amount of responses that require congregational input (such as the responsorial psalm) mean that it is hard to celebrate it with no one else. The extraordinary form, however, does allow suitably for private masses because it does not obsessively place focus on those present but on action of what God does in the liturgy through the hands of priest.

Anonymous said...

How much lace did Jesus wear at the last supper i wonder?
Also do we know which way he was facing? Art tends to depict him among the apostles.

Anonymous said...

I think lace looks better on the young and the slim!