Sunday 6 April 2008

The "winter" olympics

This was the view from my bedroom window when I woke up this morning. The photograph has been strategically taken to miss out the gas storage that provides my normal sky line!

The Olympic torch is due to be carried through London today (I wonder whether anyone has done a risk assessment for running in snow holding a burning flame?). Anti-China protests are forecast, with recent events in Tibet as the main focus. There are, of course, many other human rights issues with regard to China - an enforced one-child policy, for example, and anti-Christian persecution.

As far as the 2012 Olympics in London is concerned, I am not an enthusiast. The headline is one of increasing costs, but this has a translation on the ground for ordinary Londoners. I can see the Olympic project being a bit like a black hole, absorbing all the resources, human and material, that are in any way within reach of its boundaries. Those are then resources that are not available for many other projects in the area. Local Authorities like my own have projects for the upgrading of their social housing ("Decent Homes", for those in the know) and most are also involved in developing major building projects for their schools due to be implemented in the years approaching 2012 ("Building Schools for the Future"). I am not able to see how these cannot be adversely affected by a mega-building project at their front door.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think i read recently that the one child policy is changing- it maybe due to an imbalance of the sexes.